Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cellulitis and Levaquin Dreams

Well I had a great beginning of the month. By the way, this is an old story, meaning beginning of Sept. I woke up Wed Sept. 2 sick as a dog. My entire body ached BAD and I was freezing so bad my arms and legs were shaking. I should have gone to the hospital, but knew I wouldn't be able to drive and didn't want to call an ambulance. The next day I was a bit better but noticed the red sploches on my right shin and calf. Well I had cellulitis last year so I knew that's what it was. I also knew I had to go to get it fixed fast because cellulitis literally gets worse by the hour. So I worked midnite Thurs and called my doctor Friday morning. They said they couldn't take me till the 25th. Sorry, that ain't gonna happen. I'd be lucky to still have a leg by then lol. So I went to bed (I'd just got off a double) and went to the ER Friday evening. It's funny because I was thinking I could go in, get a scrip, get it filled and go eat. Nope. And by the way, unless you want to not go anywhere for a long time, NEVER tell a triage nurse at an ER that you have pain in your chest. I told him that when I took a deep breath it hurt. They went nuts. Did an EKG. Wanted to test me to see if I had a blood clot since the cellulitis was in 3 different spots and they were worried I might have one that was moving to my lung. So they admitted me to give me IV antibiotics. THEN they tell me there is a glitch on my EKG that could have meant I had heart damage possibly from a prior heart attack. That lead to a great moment when I talked to this cardiologist. He asked me "So how long ago did you have a heart attack?" My response: "Well until yesterday when I heard there was something wrong with my EKG, I never knew anything could be wrong with my heart." Got a REAL interesting look from that lol. So they did an Echo cardiagram and a stress and found nothing wrong. THANK GOD!. So my quick trip to the ER ended up with a 3 day stay. I finally got released Monday afternoon.

Then the IV they gave me was Levaquin. Which worked great I might add. But Levaquin can cause nitemares and hallucinations in less than 1% of people taking it. Guess who was in that less than 1%? The entire time I was there I kept hearing this constant primal screaming in my head. Every time I'd close my eyes or fall asleep I'd see these scenes where people in other rooms were being slaughtered. Or I'd see another bed in my room where someone was getting killed. It was like that point where you had just fallen asleep and have a whacked dream but you are kinda floating between being asleep and awake. Three days straight of this! It was driving me crazy lol. Pun intended. The upside to that is that I have this great image of this dead decaying lady getting pulled out of her bed by a demon. I'm gonna try to draw/paint that one. If it comes out even close to what I'd seen, it's gonna be a real trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment