Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Heroin Chic - America's New Drug Policy

This blog is gonna be about a concern I have that to me seems like it could really be addressed at the source. Heroin. Afghanistan is responsible for most all of the opium and heroin in the world. Right now we have a government there that is ALLEGEDLY friendly to us. Also, we have about 30,000 troops and Pres. Obama is possibly going to double that.

Think about that. Most all of the world's heroin supply is sitting in a country where we have our military stationed. Now also keep in mind that the Taliban and al qaeda are using the profits of the opium trade for funding.

There has got to be SOMETHING we can do about this. I've read that we aren't destroying the poppy fields because it would basically destroy the Afghan economy, not to mention endangering the lives of their farmers. Valid point. But what about the destruction of our economy when we have to deal with millions of junkies and the drain they cause?

I don't have an answer to this. All I know is that it seems the ultimate lesson in futility to sit there (literally right there) and watch this country grow and export tons of a drug unabated then run around our own country like chickens with their heads cut off trying to catch the product in dimebag increments from hitting our streets. There is no part of that that makes any sense at all to me.

I'm not naive enough to think this is a simple solution. I really do hope though that the new administration at least addresses this. Like I said...we're RIGHT THERE.

1 comment:

  1. A partial solution would be to legalize heroin sales in the U.S., tax and track them. Not the most elegant solution, but perhaps a step in the correct direction.

    ReplyDelete